[Wolves] LAMP Tuning training/consultancy anyone?

Richard Sheppard richard at siliconmeadow.net
Thu Oct 22 11:36:45 UTC 2009

Hi,

This is my first post, but I thought I'd been a member for some time.
Turns out I wasn't - I had subscribed some years ago via
wlv at mailman.lug.org.uk, I think. Anyway, I think that is why you were
all so quiet during that time!

I'm happy to give a bit more of a bio sometime soon, but would like to
jump in with a request for some help if possible.

In August, I started working with Aroq, online publishers for busy
business executives. They have a long history on the web and have been
a Microsoft house for their entire history.

This year, they've taken the courageous step of deciding to move to
open source and the extremely intelligent choice of using Drupal to
power their web sites. This is how we ended up meeting - I build
Drupal sites :-)

They're taking a phased approach to migrating away from Microsoft and
for starters, we've created a couple of Drupal prototypes already. The
prototypes have been demonstrated to a couple of large corporations
and the feedback has been very positive.

I have done tens of installations of different flavours of linux -
maybe over 100 - for local and workgroup development. I've also had
several production linux servers out on the web, but these have been
initially configured by server wizards at the datacentres (currently
very happy with Rackspace, btw). Aroq have their own datacentre at
their headquarters in Bromsgrove and we have taken an existing Dell
PowerEdge rack server of respectable specs and re-purposed it with
Ubuntu. I'm struggling to get the kind of performance out of it of
which I'm sure it's capable.

The management team at Aroq have asked me to find someone who has
experience of LAMP/Drupal tuning to help get this initial server
working the way it should. In the process, they'd like training for me
and others at Aroq on best practices, thus avoiding the trial and
error processes I've been using to date.

We're looking for someone interested in coming to Bromsgrove for a
day's consultancy/training to get me/us up to speed on LAMP stack
tuning. Ideally, early November would suit, but I'm sure we can work
around the trainer/consultant's schedule.

If there are any members of this list who are interested please let me
know at richard [dot] sheppard [at] aroq [dot] com. Same goes if you
have recommend a particular trainer/consultant

I look forward to any help you can give.

Kind regards,

Richard

--
Richard Sheppard