[Wolves] Optical fibre

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Mon Sep 21 09:12:18 UTC 2009

dick_turpin wrote:
> Mark Ellse wrote:
>> We need to link switches over some longer distances at school - about
>> 200 m - and have recently put some ducts in for the job. It probably
>> needs optical fibre. But I wondered about us putting our own fibres
>> in, buying the appropriate kit, and terminating them ourselves.
>>
>> Presumably we'll have to buy a kit to do the termination.
>>
>> Is it easy? Does anyone have any experience or advice?
> Mark, as you know we can do that work and we are 2 minutes walk away
> from you. Would you like a quote?

As the price of termination kits is quite high (£600 - £1400 see
http://www.minitran.co.uk/pages/products/list.mhtml?ct=4&sc=22), it is
unlikely that it would be economic to do the termination yourself.
Puting the cable in place is a different matter, provided you treat the
cable with the care & respect it needs. So no sharp bends - nothing
tighter than 12" radius, keep the ends sealed, run about a metre more
than needed - for cutting off and pull it very, very gently as you do
not want the fibre to break in the middle.

--
Ron Wellsted
ron at wellsted.org.uk http://www.wellsted.org.uk