[Wolves] Optical fibre

Stephen Welch stephenw at invictustechnology.co.uk
Mon Sep 21 20:33:04 UTC 2009

Ron Wellsted wrote:
> dick_turpin wrote:
>
>> Mark Ellse wrote:
>>
>>> We need to link switches over some longer distances at school - about
>>> 200 m - and have recently put some ducts in for the job. It probably
>>> needs optical fibre. But I wondered about us putting our own fibres
>>> in, buying the appropriate kit, and terminating them ourselves.
>>>
>>> Presumably we'll have to buy a kit to do the termination.
>>>
>>> Is it easy? Does anyone have any experience or advice?
>>>
>> Mark, as you know we can do that work and we are 2 minutes walk away
>> from you. Would you like a quote?
>>

> As the price of termination kits is quite high (£600 - £1400 see
> http://www.minitran.co.uk/pages/products/list.mhtml?ct=4&sc=22), it is
> unlikely that it would be economic to do the termination yourself.

<snip>

Have you asked other educational establishments if they any kit you
could borrow?  Sometime the bigger uni's or such like have kits like this.

I would just get some else in to do it that way you will get a warranty.

The only other consideration is put in more than you need.  Don't just
put one in as on bad day (try and plan for these) it will break get
broke and someone will have plonked a port-a-cabin on top of 12 meters
of duct making the repair and installation very difficult.

In past I have put a wireless bridge in for a few users and this has
been going to four years without any problems, touch wood!!  Of course
if you da da da da then I would use a cable / fibre connection.

Stephen