[Wolves] Amending Meeting times /days/frequency etc

Chris Ellis chris at intrbiz.com
Mon Jul 24 14:00:39 UTC 2023

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 2:08 PM Adam Sweet via Wolves
<wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> On 22/07/2023 02:26, John Alexander via Wolves wrote:
> > Hi everyone, recently the WLUG meetups have reduced in uptake to myself
> > Chris and Dan, others come but it's not frequent.
> > Chris came up with some good ideas and 'll leave it to him to explain them.
> > What do people want in a meetup, events/social/Study  etc,,, when and
> > how often would be good for the members.
> > I'd like to open up this as a discussion thread. What do others think?
>
> Sorry to take a few days to come back on this. I'd be interested to hear
> what Chris has to say, but from my point of view, I think the world in
> general has had enough of video calls after the pandemic. They're
> certainly useful but lack the qualitative and tactile nature of in
> person meetings.
>
> For me, I now have a baby and I simply can't reliably turn up to video
> calls as I'm never not doing anything. It would be easier for me to make
> in person meetings as I can arrange to be out for evening. I could
> probably make once a month if we agree on a location. They could be
> fortnightly as they were before, or once a month with a video call on
> the other fortnight. I'd be happy to go back to the Royal Tiger as a
> regular and then move around few other locations too.
>
> I had plans to hold events to build up some momentum and encourage new
> members. Unfortunately some family news kicked the legs out for a while,
> then COVID and later my wife becoming pregnant sucked all the air out of
> the those intentions. The talks were quite popular but I was burnt out
> after the Rocky Linux one, I wasn't able to find volunteers to give any
> more talks and wasn't able to sustain it. There are a few pages on the
> LUG website about proposed talks and events. We always need suggestions
> and ideas.
>
> I don't currently have the availability and we're lacking other
> organisers. We need volunteers and motivators.
>
> Aside from that, what were you going to say Chris? Everyone else, what
> would you be interested doing and what would encourage you to meet up?
>
> Ad

My thoughts are pretty similar.

Given things have now moved on from the initial days of pandemic lockdowns,
I think weekly meetings are a bit over the top, but I do still think
there is value in
having virtual meetings, and not just from a purely selfish view of
being a bit remote.

I would suggest that we reduce the frequency and that we also consider which day
and time works best for people whom wish to attend.  I know that a
number of people
have clashes on Wednesday evenings, it would also be sensible to avoid
clashes if
we go to alternate weeks

I also think that having regular physical meetups would be good and
I'll certainly aim
to travel to make some of them.

I would suggest we gauge interest in:

1) Restarting regular meat space meetups
2) Reducing virtual meetups
3) Alternating virtual meetups with evening and daytime
4) Discussing with days work best for people
5) What frequency of physical and virtual meetups to aim for
6) What venues work for people

Thoughts?

Chris