No subject

Tue Jul 6 12:27:19 UTC 2010

> 4. Some other audience?

I think generally the target audience for the poster would be somewhere
between 1 and 2 or 3 and 2. i.e. Those who are dissatisfied with MS
offerings, have heard of Linux and are probably already using some FOSS
(Firefox/Chrome/OpenOffice etc) but want to know more before switching.
And those who are completely unaware of anything besides MS,

> I'm not personally convinced people will be persuaded by the 'free
> software' 'free in cost' etc argument; if they are - they'll already
> be involved.

My experience with group #3 is this is a pretty big persuader. In
general they are of the opinion that illegal downloading is the only
way to obtain good software for no cost. Many are skeptical when I
introduce them to FOSS and assume it is illegal until we go through
the GPL (or whatever license).

Being able to do everything legally and at no cost is a convincing
argument. The general population don't want to break the law / infringe
copyright but are unaware of the alternatives, So when presented with
the: I need to work on this office doc at home but don't have a copy of
MS Office go down the only route they know. I've even heard an IT
manager say to someone:
  "Surely you know someone who can get you a hooky copy of Office,
   everyone does don't they?"!
rather than recommend Ooo.

> At the last RnB LUG meeting some small leaflets were produced someone
> had made; I don't remember them, but it might be worth emailing the

I'll do this, thanks David.

> Re hosting - lug.org.uk will give you hosting for static pages? I'd
> suggest you (at the least) just promote worcs.lug.org.uk (or whatever
> it is) and have this forwarding to somewhere else if necessary.
> lug.org.uk isn't likely to go away ... 3rd party hosting may

Couldn't agree more, the intention was always to point worcs.lug.org.uk
there but for some reason it never went on the poster (probably lack of
sleep with stupid night shifts)