[Autistic] intro

Nick Leverton nick at leverton.org
Mon Mar 20 23:45:02 GMT 2006

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 11:26:57PM +0000, Baza wrote:

> In fact I would -like- Ubuntu to sort out, dvd, mp3 etc.

As you know Debian won't have anything to do with patents, and Ubuntu
don't seem to have the time to do much independent development.
But Christian Marillat's packages seem to install, at least, on both
Debian and Ubuntu:

deb http://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main
deb-src http://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main

- or -

deb http://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sid main
deb-src http://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sid main

Ubuntu Breezy is inbetween Sarge and Sid but nearer the latter; the Sid
packages seem to work in any case.  Sid should also be fine for Dapper.

>                                                          Be nice if
> it gave you the option of having dvd dma on by default too.

I didn't know it didn't in fact.  Sarge + backports.org sets my CD-DVD
up fine, and Breezy sets its cdrom up the same way (I don't have a DVD
on that box):

hdparm -i -I /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:

 Model=SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352B, FwRev=T807, SerialNo=
...snips...
 UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2

  * signifies the current active mode