[Autistic] intro

Nick Leverton nick at leverton.org
Tue Mar 21 13:58:42 GMT 2006

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 04:10:57PM -0500, Amanda wrote:

> I'm currently running Ubuntu on the desktop, although I'd like to know if
> there's a Debian-based distribution that is not as hard to configure as
> Debian and not as do-everything-for-you-in-maddening-ways as Ubuntu.  Some
> middle ground.

I just remembered that Ubuntu defaults a lot of questions that Debian
ask you.  But it's easy to turn them back on, just open a command line
and run:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -p low debconf

sudo will ask you for your user password and then, as root, run
dpkg-reconfigure on debconf itself.

leave the first option (dialogue type) unchanged;
change the second option from "critical" to "high", "medium" or "low"
- I use medium, as some of the low-priority questions are pretty trivial.

There's probably a GUI way to do it too but I'm not so familiar with
aptitude, synaptic, etc etc.

Nick