[Autistic] Let's get this party (re)started

Stephen Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Tue Apr 24 17:00:00 BST 2007

On 4/24/07, Paul Tansom <paul at aptanet.com> wrote:

> Those that claim that Linux isn't ready for the desktop where Windows is
> need their head examining; having been using Windows as my primary
> desktop OS for a while now I have to say that my productivity has
> seriously dropped.

Same here.

Once I leave a text editor or web browser I know I'm in for a world of
pain.  I attempted to use Visual Studio for a few things but to make a
ten second change to the makefile you have to change a preference and
they seem to be in three places.  I quickly swapped back to a GCC
based solution I might have to use the braindead command line more
often but I don't have to hunt around a gui for 20 mins to find the
right checkbox (normally with an ambiguous name) to make a simple
change.

I made the mistake of installing a couple of LAMP systems the other
day so I didn't have to ftp to a server in the states to do testing
(Which was lagged to buggery which is why I didn't use vim on the
server in the first place) and discovered that text configs files are
hidden from the users to make things easier ;)  I don't know who it
was easier for but the developers of one setup couldn't explain why I
was getting a cached result from apache when mod_proxy wasn't setup
and insisted it was the browser or a proxy cache on route.  I tried to
explain I was telneting into port 80 and issueing the get direct to
debug the setup and it was definately the server but I was told that
was impossible :)  Let's just say I moved onto another LAMP installer
for testing rather than debug the developers.

--
Steve 'sparkes' Parkes