[Autistic] Let's get this party (re)started

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Tue Apr 24 16:50:08 BST 2007

** Zahn Daltocli <daltocli at gmail.com> [2007-04-24 16:27]:
> I've setup a temp channel on irc.lug.org.uk (Blitzed IRC) until I get my
> network back online.
>
> Wouldn't advise it on freenode, as it's PDPC (Peer Directed Projects
> Center), aimed at stuff like apache, etc... Not sure they'd be happy at
> hosting a LUG.  I hang about in #FreeNode-Social there, under the
> nickname daltocli (my nickname almost everywhere :P)
** end quote [Zahn Daltocli]

I didn't set it up, just added it to my config when it was. I generally
use blitzed, so it was a bit of a pain to have another server configured
- although not too much. I'll try to remember to remove it when I power
the machine back on. I'm looking forward to that as this Windows box is
driving me nuts.

Those that claim that Linux isn't ready for the desktop where Windows is
need their head examining; having been using Windows as my primary
desktop OS for a while now I have to say that my productivity has
seriously dropped. There are a lot of features that I rely on that just
aren't in Windows, or need 3rd party add-ons or registry hacks to enable
a feature that is there, just not properly.

Here's a few notable ones for me:

o tab completion - it can be done, but you need a registry hack to do it
o mouse over focus - another registry hack or, iirc tweakui; that said
it doesn't work as well as in Linux
o default browser - this is a big irriatation; I spent ages battling
with my wife (the other user of the machine) before I realised that
Windows isn't a try multi-user OS; there are basic settings that get set
globally by any user that changes them!

I use Firefox, and my wife uses Opera. Each time I started up I'd be
greeted with a box to set the default browser, and after a while it got
annoying. I investigated and eventually found a utility to enable the
feature to allow this to be set per user instead of globally. Of course
MS don't consider that anyone in the entire Universe would ever even
dare to use something other than IE, so it's probably something an
employee coded in that MS didn't really want there at all ;)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/