[Autistic] Distros

ian spyro at f2s.com
Tue Apr 24 17:31:03 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 15:23 +0100, Zahn Daltocli wrote:
> Okay... We need to get active, so err... I know a starter!
>
> What distro do we all use?

Originally ARM linux, which was a butchered up redhat on my 200MHz
StrongARM RiscPC

since then, x86 redhat for a while, then debian, then for the last 5
years or so, Linux From Scratch.

Nowadays I run Debian on all my desktop boxes, although my filestore
(NFS, headless, gigE, 0.8TB) and my router/firewall/webserver still run
LFS.

I've only had to make very slight modifications to my debian to get it
to run off NFS root, so all my desktop machines here are damn near
silent (no discs in them!)

My laptop runs debian, or did until last night. updating it from
$OLD_DISTRO to lenny has completely fucked it. I'll reinstall it tonight
probably, with debian lenny like the desktop machines.

My personal desktop is a 2.2GHz Athlon64 X2 w/ 2GB RAM and a radeon X800
and  GigE.

the kids box is a 2.1GHz Athlon32 with 2GB RAM and a Radeon 9000 Pro (I
think)

Annoyingly the Radeon 9000 pro works faster than the X800 at present...

My hobby is porting linux to PDAs :)