[Bassetlug mailing] eGroupWare

MJ.Wells mj.wells at ischus.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 14:06:19 BST 2008

Mark,

When I think through the logic of making changes to the times recorded in
the database when the clocks move the hour I could not at first think of a
reason why there is a need for this.

However, If the server is located in a different time-zone to the users then
there is a problem with the users knowing how the data is to be interpreted
in their time-zone.

I think that it would be useful to look at the switches used in the
installation of mySQL and eGroupWare to see if there are any that deal with
the times and which may be able to be set up to conflict. The way to do this
may be to work through a complete installation from scratch and take special
note of any options. I used separate binaries for my installation rather
than LAMP, which I believe is the route that you chose?

Perhaps it might be time for you to teach me about using virtualisation at
the next meeting? J

I think I remember you saying that there was a method of installing
eGroupWare using an image. I would suspect that using this would mean that
one would be unable to make lots of choices of how the installation would
look?

It would be useful to have a quick look at the actual time data stored in
the mySQl tables to see if the software is massaging the times when it
delivers them to user or is delivering them raw. I might find this in the
web-page code, but it would confirm any understanding gained from this
route.

The other reason that looking at the database would be useful is that you
can only access your own data using some of the SyncML clients. Is it only
your time data that was altered or that of users (if any) that have not
accessed the data in this manner?

As you know, I am having to learn all about the system as I go along. I am
getting a vague understanding of the PDA to eGroupWare connection, but I now
need to understand a little more. Which PDA do you connect with and what is
the SyncML client it is using? (I am guessing Funambol?) The PDA is really
only relevant in terms of the OS it is running and the method by which you
access the website.

Martin