[Bassetlug mailing] Installing on external USB disc drive

MJ.Wells mj.wells at ischus.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 12:59:34 BST 2008

Has anyone experience of installing  any Linux distribution (but
particularly Ubuntu) on an external USB disc drive.?

I am having difficulty mounting the drive prior to the installation. This
means that the drive not appear as an option when arrive at the partitioning
stage. Using the lsusb command I think I can see that the drive is present
in the list of USB devices. I think that I need to enable SCSI support in
the kernel when I boot from the installation CD, but haven't yet discovered
how to do this with the CD installation.

Martin