[Bassetlug mailing] Computer name missing in DNS

Danny Roberts droberts23 at csc.com
Tue Mar 3 08:01:08 UTC 2009

I was under the impression that you would need to be using a DNS service
such as BIND so that the IP addresses would be resolved to host names (and
vice-versa)?

You can get more info on the BIND website if your interested and it's
fully Open Source: https://www.isc.org/software/bind

Kind Regards

DANNY ROBERTS
EMEA Cross Platform Services - Evergreen
CSC

GOS   I    p : +(44) 1246 523181    I    droberts23 at csc.com    I
www.csc.com

CSC, Block A, Manor Offices, Old Road, Chesterfield, S40 3QT.

CSC • This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the
mistake in delivery.  NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not
operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to
explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting
the use of e-mail for such purpose • CSC Computer Sciences Limited •
Registered Office: Royal Pavilion, Wellesley Road, Aldershot, Hampshire,
GU11 1PZ, UK • Registered in England No: 0963578

Rev Mark Pengelly <minister at thecrossing.co.uk>
Sent by: bassetlug-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
02/03/2009 17:59
Please respond to
"LUG Mailing list for Bassetlaw and N. Notts"
<bassetlug at mailman.lug.org.uk>

"LUG Mailing list for Bassetlaw and N. Notts"
<bassetlug at mailman.lug.org.uk>
cc

Subject
Re: [Bassetlug mailing] Computer name missing in DNS

This is a lack of a WINS server I think. Can be sorted with a manual
hosts files, but on this occasion I wouldn't simply us the IP
addresses...?

Mark