[Bassetlug mailing] Computer name missing in DNS

Rev Mark Pengelly minister at thecrossing.co.uk
Tue Mar 3 08:25:35 UTC 2009

That's right Danny.

Often for a mixed LAN of windows and linux machines ip to naming is
resolved by a wins server though, ie you don't go out to the internet
for finding local PC names like Martin is wondering about in our
scenario. Any windows machine runs a WINS server and and this resolves
the net BIOS name.

This provides the ability in windows to browse the 'Network
Neighbourhood' (I think). Different types of windows machines have an
election to decide which will be the browse master. ie an NT server will
beat a win98 box in an election. Often when using a samba server the
samba service provides the WINS service as well and is usually set to
master browser.

Mark