[Bassetlug mailing] Reviving old equipment

MJ.Wells mj.wells at ischus.co.uk
Thu Mar 19 14:41:36 UTC 2009

Someone I know had leant rather too hard with a sharp object on the glass of
their scanner and about a dozen rather nasty cracks had radiated over the
whole surface. They were going to throw it away, but fortunately I came
along just as they were lamenting its loss. After joining them in the lament
for the polite length of time I suggested that I might save them the trouble
of disposing of it. (WEEE regulations can be a pain at times, but sometimes
of some use!)

They were pleased to give it me. I had to get it home carefully as long
blades of glass were threatening to fall out of it.

When I had a free moment I carefully removed the glass. It was more
difficult opening the device than others I have encountered as it was not
held together with screws, but with double sided tape. As that also held the
broken shards of glass I had to be very careful.

The glass was not too broken to lay the pieces out on a table and measure
the size, after which I made quick trip to a glass shop and exchanged £2 for
a new piece cut correctly.

After degreasing and cleaning the side that would become inaccessible, I
stuck it back with UHU rather than double sided-tape as I wasn't sure if
normal glass has a 'window' (sorry about that inversion) in the correct UV
region, and so would need to take it out and get a new, probably more
expensive piece.

Before I closed the case I vacuumed out all the tiny grit of glass that was
floating around inside. You do have to be careful with the relationship
between electronics and a vacuum cleaner. Do not clean circuit boards with
one. The air rushing over the board can become charged and cause high
voltages to appear across sensitive components potentially causing, if not
immediate, at least premature failure.

However, once I had found the drivers (yes; I admit I defected again) and
solved a slight problem with the environment that the installation had not
got correct, I now have a working scanner at the cost of £2.

Now all I have to do is to get it working in Linux...

We live in a throw-away society whilst we remonstrate about the problem it
causes to the environment. A little thought can prevent some things adding
to the environmental burden and also enable you to obtain an inexpensive
addition to your technological armoury. And whilst ten years ago you were on
your own with finding the resolution of a problem; now the power of Google
nearly always finds someone who has the answer even if a LUG member can't
help with a solution.

Martin