[Bassetlug mailing] LDAP authentication

Mark Pengelly markshop at pengelly.info
Wed Oct 7 08:10:04 UTC 2009

Ok got that sorted I think. gone with server1.pengelly.local

next step is to sort DNS with bind9. LDAP setup howtos are pretty clear that
there's little joy without names resolviong properly yes.

Am I going to be needing to set it up as primary master dns server, as
opposed to simply a caching server? To what extent is this already setup on
my IPCop machine I wonder??

mark

2009/10/6 MJ.Wells <mj.wells at ischus.co.uk>

> I have had problems with this one. I set the server's FQDN to
> server.localdomain.ischus.co.uk. Sounded great until I tried to access the
> website www.ischus.co.uk from inside the LAN. This was masked in the DNS
> so
> that it could not be found.
>
> I think that the email issue is bound up in the issue of what domain you
> are
> going to send to the server from the WAN. Essentially any domain can only
> be
> pointed to one place at a time. The use of server.localdomain.ischus.local
> solves this as the domain is never seen outside of the LAN.
>
> However we point ischus.net and ischus.info at our server from outside. So
> the server could have one of these as its FQDN and then we could host our
> emails on that domain.
>
> So I think that Mark may find a solution by having a domain registered and
> pointed to the server from outside that then can ripple through to being
> used by the email setup.
>
> I think it is possible for the email server to handle a different domain to
> the server as I have a client running Windows Server using the .local
> domain, but the exchange server handles emails with a .co.uk domain.
> However, the email server collects from their ISP rather than being sent to
> directly - if that in fact makes a difference to the operation.
>
> [There is a further complication in that you can point different services
> different places in the domain's management if your parking provider gives
> you the means to do so.]
>
> Martin

Mark Pengelly
Worksop