[Bassetlug mailing] BassetLug Website

MJ.Wells mj.wells at ischus.co.uk
Tue Oct 6 14:14:37 UTC 2009

I think we should take small, but effective steps to look more inviting to
the general populace. In order to achieve this we should enhance our web
presence.

I think that giving some people that we might meet the website
www.basset.lug.org.uk is not easy for them to remember or to associate with
normal people rather than geeks. I have several people specifically in mind.
The suggested BassetlawLinux.org.uk says what it is and is easier to
remember. A domain like that could be pointed to the same place that
basset.lug.org.uk is hosted.

I can see the argument for the .org.uk, but I do wonder how many people
remember that rather than .co.uk or .com. I cannot remember accessing many
sites that are not the major ones with the exception of .gov.uk.

However, I think that the main way people will consider us is through a web
search for some issue that they need to find help for so pages with
solutions and discussion would be useful.

Let's get a bit more up on the existing site and if we can't manage without
PHP and/or a database consider what to do then.

I am happy to act as webmaster and put something together with input and
ideas from others.

Perhaps we could aim to have some suggestions to discuss for the 14th? I'll
put something together on our server for people to look at here:
www.ischus.net/WebSite/BassetlawLinux

Martin