[Beds] Re: Help with a tutorial on the kernel

Neil Darlow neil at darlow.co.uk
Tue Dec 3 23:16:01 2002

Hi Tom,

On Tuesday 03 Dec 2002 21:07, Tom Chance wrote:
> I'd appreciate any comments on it, especially technical corrections and
> points of clarification, as I'm not exactly an expert on the subject
> myself, I just wanted to make a stab at getting the basic info down
> before asking those more knowledgeable to comment :)

A few points for consideration:

1) Spelling - I suggest a re-read and correction of a few spelling errors
that exist. I won't point them out because you might be tempted to correct
only those and there may be some I've missed.

2) IPC section - You've missed probably the most-used IPC technology i.e.
shared memory. FIFOs and Pipes alone aren't a complete set.

3) Tainted modules - The lsmod example incorrectly describes the Tainted
indicator. For a kernel using it's own set of modules the first line of lsmod
will indicate "Not Tainted". In your case, the NVidia driver which was added
as a binary-only module and not built with the kernel "Taints" the kernel.
The reference to [es1371] next to ac97_codec merely indicates that ac97_codec
is used by es1371.

Otherwise, a good effort. Well done.

Regards,
Neil Darlow M.Sc.
--
Open Standards/Free Software Consultants http://www.darlow.co.uk/
ICQ: 135505456  E-Mail, Jabber, MSNM: see following GnuPG identity