[Beds] Debian on EPIA Mini-ITX motherboard

Gibbsie gibbsie at gibbsie.org
Thu Nov 7 16:55:01 2002

I have had two VIA EPIA-800's running continuously since May this year when
I purchased them.  I have them running RedHat 7.3 (was originally 7.2), and
they are a real treat and I'm perfectly pleased with the two I have.

>From a Linux point of view, the boards are well supported since most things
are up and running from a fresh install, although dedicated VIA drivers are
available from www.viaarena.com.  I personally haven't played with sound
under KDE, so am not sure about the MIDI whether it works or not, but
suspect its a limitation of the sound chipset as mentioned by Neil.

If anyone wants a low-cost and small footprint platform, these are ideal and
definitely worth while investigating.  Best place to buy the boards (and
cases) currently seems to be www.ultim8pc.co.uk although www.ebuyer.com do
sometimes dip below ultim8pc's price.

I have a few articles on my website at www.gibbsie.org relating to the
mini-itx form factor - if anyone wants to add more to it, they are most
certainly welcome to (or if you find something not quite technically
correct, please point it out).

For a dedicated router function, I found that the "LEX Light"
(http://www.lex.com.tw/) is more applicable since the mainboard has a
Compact FLASH slot on the board (and is bootable), based around the
EPIA-533, has three NICs on board (Gigabit is an option), and runs off 12v
input - no need for FlexATX PSU.  I've not personally tried one of these
systems, but sound perfect.  Seems in the UK, they are only available from
www.ultim8pc.co.uk.

Anyhow, just some related information for those that are interested.

gibbsie