[Beds] Re: UKUUG ?

Kevin Taylor kevin at northants.lug.org.uk
Thu Nov 7 20:37:01 2002

(Note to Northants readers - this started off as an enquiry from the beds=
 list,
but thought I would reply back to both).

> Not sure I want to join if your comments are anything to go by, anyone =
off
> the Northants list lurking on here care to comment ?

I am a member of the UKUUG.  They do quite a few free talks throughout
the year (which are excellent and open to non-members too), and their dev=
elopers
conference (not free, but not expensive for members) always looks very go=
od, but
unfortunately I can't lose a weekend doing geeking things, due to family
comitments.  They also do several seminars during the year.

Its hard to say what you get for your money, but they are the most offici=
al
body in the UK to represent Unix/Linux users that I know of.

They have a few 'special interest groups' too, involved with things like
education advocacy, etc.  Basically, I support them because I respect
what they are trying to do.

At the end of the day, its up to you, but I'm involved as I want to ensur=
e they
are representing me and my views about things.  I also want to ensure tha=
t they
keep up good communications with LUGs.

If you want official representation then things like the IEE or BCS could=
 be a
better bet from a carear point of view, but the UKUUG fits more in with
pushing Linux advocacy, but doesn't have the same status as the IEE or BC=
S.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, see http://www.ukuug.org/

Kevin.