[Beds] dv2jpg compilation (and various video questions...)

Darren Parkinson darren.parkinson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 12:48:56 BST 2005

Hello all,

I'm having a little trouble compiling the dv2jpg application and I'm pretty
sure it is something fairly simple, but can't quite put my finger on it and
wondered if anyone might have any ideas.

Firstly, perhaps I don't even need the application which might save me a lot
of time. Basically, I have some "avi" files which I captured in windows
using an app from "aist" (just because I've found it to be fairly reliable
without dropping frames). I wanted to combine them into a single video and
then burn them to a VideoCD. I used Windows Movie Maker (sorry!!) to put the
video together since it is so easy to use and I was in windows at the time
-- basically adding a couple of sound tracks and fades/transitions etc. I
then used Windows Movie Maker to export the finished video to a dv-avi.

Anyway, given the lack of unrestricted tools under windows to create the
Video CD I turned to Linux. Now stupidly, I assumed that an avi was an
avi!!! How wrong can a person be... I'm trying to use avidemux2 to prepare
the video (for burning to VideoCD via K3b). If I open one of the original
AVI files, it has no problem, but if I try to open the new WMM created avi,
it gives me an error unable to open file. I've now put this down to the fact
that it isn't the "right" sort of avi file, which is why I believe I need to
use dv2jpg. Sorry for the long story, but may help understand why I've got
to this point...

Now onto dv2jpg...

When I run "make" as per the (very short) instructions, I get the errors
below. I can't help wonder if it is because I don't have the right version
of something, or I'm not including the right header files or something, but
if anyone else has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Darren.

gcc -g -I/usr/include/mjpegtools
-I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-1.0-I/usr/include -I/usr/include/libdv
`glib-config --cflags` `gtk-config
--cflags` -DPAL -g -c dv2jpg.c
dv2jpg.c: In function 'mjpeg_term_destination':
dv2jpg.c:50: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
'AVI_write_frame' differ in signedness
dv2jpg.c: In function 'main':
dv2jpg.c:69: error: too few arguments to function 'dv_decoder_new'
dv2jpg.c:70: error: too few arguments to function 'dv_init'
dv2jpg.c:136: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
'dv_parse_header' differ in signedness
dv2jpg.c:139: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
'dv_decode_full_frame' differ in signedness
dv2jpg.c:139: warning: passing argument 5 of 'dv_decode_full_frame' from
incompatible pointer type
dv2jpg.c:151: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function 'memcpy'
dv2jpg.c:181: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
make: *** [dv2jpg.o] Error 1