[Beds] Re: dv2jpg compilation (and various video questions...) - UPDATE

Dave Hill dave at hillcroft.org.uk
Fri Sep 23 08:22:31 BST 2005

On 21 Sep 2005, at 16:25, Darren Parkinson wrote:

> Well, it seems I managed to get dv2jpg to compile by trying every
> version of libdv available, even though the docs say to use 0.4... ho
> hum.
>
>  Unfortunately, this doesn't cure my problem.  dv2jpg has the same
> problem -- it can read my original avi file, but not the new one.  If
> I "file" both, they produce the following output, which is a bit odd!!
>
>  Any thoughts welcome... thanks...
>
>  Can open with avidemux:
> tempfile.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 720 x 576, 25.00 fps,
> video:, audio: uncompressed PCM (stereo, 32000 Hz)
>
>  Cannot open with avidemux or dv2jpg:
> Movie.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 0 x 0, 25.00 fps,

Hmm, that looks like your problem, your AVI file is corrupt or
incomplete. Can you open it on Windows?

AVI is a container format, just like Quicktime .mov files, so the
contents can be formatted using lots of different codecs.

Maybe Windows Movie Maker produced an invalid (== non-standard) AVI
file (nah, it wouldn't do that would it!).

I found a web-page http://www.beyondtv.org/training/real_media/ which,
although it is about encoding to RealMedia, says that Virtualdub (free,
GPL, Windows) can process dv-avi files. Might be worth a try to see if
it can read your file.

Dave

--
Dave Hill, Kempston, Bedford UK - dave at hillcroft dot org dot uk
AIM: hillcroftdave