[Beds] Who's Here?

David Pashley david at davidpashley.com
Tue Aug 29 15:27:55 BST 2006

On Aug 29, 2006 at 14:50, Stephen Newey praised the llamas by saying:
> Having looked around the lug.org.uk site, it appears there are active
> LUGs in Milton Keynes, Luton, Cambridge and Peterborough (and
> probably other places in between). I get the feeling this list is
> mostly populated by people in North Bedfordshire? I propose we find
> out a little more about each other with a short survey so we can work
> out the best way to move forward.

There is a fairly well established lug in Northampton from what I
understand. I think Tony has been to that a couple of times. Milton
Keynes was a good lug when I went with regualr meetings. It did start to
lag a bit, but by the time I left it had picked up again.

> So here's a little list of questions for anyone who's interested....
>
> 1. Say Hi! So we know who's here.

Hi.

> 2. Whereabouts are you?

Brighton

> 3. What's your relationship with Linux? (how did you come to use it,
> what do you use it for, etc)

Debian Maintainer. Have used linux since 1997.

> 4. What's your preferred distribution? (no need to get into why
> unless you really want to, just establishing a demographic!)

I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

> 5. What do you hope to get out of being involved with a Linux User
> Group? What sort of things would you like to see the group do?

Social and technical. The most successful lugs I've been to have had a
mixture of both these points. West Yorkshire and Greater London both
spend a couple of hours given talks and then relocating to a nearby
drinking establishment. The problem for bedslug is finding a suitable
venue to give talks. Both of the lugs above have a friendly university
where they are able to give talks.