[Beds] Website

Stephen Newey stephen at freakymousemats.com
Thu Aug 31 13:04:14 BST 2006

Hi all

Everything's now been changed so I'm the admin for the Beds LUG. Many
thanks to Neil for all his efforts over the past few years and for
his advice in taking the reins.

Looking at the mailing list membership, there's well in excess of 50
addresses registered, which is a promising guide to potential of the
group. Obviously not everyone will still be in the area or
necessarily interested, but if the interest has been there in the
past, I think it's likely there should be even more interest now as
Linux awareness grows.

The first issues to my mind is how we go about making membership of
the group more useful for those already here and how we attract new
members.

I think the first step is building a meaningful web presence. I
propose to setup a site running Plone (http://plone.org/). For those
who've not seen it before, it's an incredibly powerful content
management system that's also becoming easier to use with each new
version. Editing of content is possible through the web with a
familiar WYSIWYG editor.

A nice feature of Plone is that each member would be able to maintain
their own section of the site where you can write articles, post news
and photos and highlight upcoming events. These items are then easily
publicised on the main news and events page of the site through a
simple workflow system.

If you're all happy with this I can get it set up ASAP. If you've got
a better idea, please say!

Take a look around the Plone site and see if there's any third-party
modules you think might offer us some useful functionality and float
your ideas here.

Finally, we need a logo! Send any suggestions or indeed mockups or
finished logos to the list (you'll need to keep it below 30Kb or so,
if it's bigger let me know and I'll bump up the message size limit).
Then we can all decide which we prefer.

Cheers
Steve