[Beds] Access Log Analysis

Darren Parkinson darren.parkinson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 23:47:41 GMT 2006

Hello All,

Just a quick question regarding access_log analysis.  I've just tried Analog
and Visitors for analysing the contents of an access_log file and also
attempted to get Webalizer and Yaala to work too but with no luck.

Anyway, both that I did get working give slightly different results as to
the number of visitors to the website.  Does anyone else have any experience
of using tools such as these and maybe recommend anything else?

I wrote some Perl code to take a look through the file too and I worked out
116 different IP addresses, but clearly this doesn't necessarily mean that
this is the number of unique visits, since users may be sharing an IP,
although I suspect is more accurate in this case given that I'm only looking
at Sunday data for a non business site... Visitors worked it out as 260
unique visitors and Analog said about 200.  So, who am I to believe and what
are your experiences.

Finally can anyone explain HTTP 304s?

Thanks.
Darren.