[Beds] Access Log Analysis

David Pashley david at davidpashley.com
Tue Jan 31 07:28:39 GMT 2006

On Jan 30, 2006 at 17:03, Darren Parkinson praised the llamas by saying:

I find AWStats(http://www.awstats.org) to work rather well.

> I wrote some Perl code to take a look through the file too and I worked out
> 116 different IP addresses, but clearly this doesn't necessarily mean that
> this is the number of unique visits, since users may be sharing an IP,
> although I suspect is more accurate in this case given that I'm only looking
> at Sunday data for a non business site... Visitors worked it out as 260
> unique visitors and Analog said about 200.  So, who am I to believe and what
> are your experiences.

I can't remember the exact reason for this, but it's entirely possible
that Analog believes some people are part of a returning session. Maybe
using session urls or something. I know I saw something on the awstats
website about this.

> Finally can anyone explain HTTP 304s?

304 is "not modified". Basically the first time the browser downloads
the page, the server gives it a modified date. The next time the browser
a if-last-modified header. If the page hasn't changed since that date,
the server doesn't bother serving the page and just tells the browser to
use what it had before.