[Blackburn] Networking

Konrad Dąbrowski konraddabrowski at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 27 15:33:01 BST 2003

Dnia nie 25. maja 2003 22:21, steve at localcomputer.co.uk napisał:
> > I've been trying to set up a network today. That works and the
> > computers on it can ping each-other. However, I don't know how to get
> > the internet shared amoung the computers.
>
> The simplest way probably is to setup NAT (aka IP Masquerading) on the
> gateway machine.

I've got all this working now. The Debian reference is a wonderful thing if
you know what you're looking for :). My gateway still needs a bit of tidying
up, but I now know how to get it to work.

> The command 'su' will turn any shell into a root shell. You will need
> root's password. For a genuine root environment, you should run 'su -'.
Yeah, I can run shell commands as root this way, but how can I run X programs
as root, when logged in to KDE as a normal user?

> > I've set the hostname (I think) to birminghamcounrtyclub.org
>
> Why? That domain name is not even registered apparently.

Once I have an ADSL, I want to use this domain name. The choice is a
long-standing joke with some friends of mine. What's the cheapest way to
reserve it, so that noone else takes it?

Thanks very much!
Konrad

P.S. I want to recompile the kernel some time. I use 2.2 atm, but I like some
of the stuff in 2.4. Considering that I've never done it before, about how
long would it take me? My 2 computers are a P 133 with 32MB RAM and a PIII
333 with 64MB RAM.

Also,  is there a special kernel for dual processor boxes or should I just use
the normal one?