[Blackburn] Networking

steve at localcomputer.co.uk steve at localcomputer.co.uk
Tue May 27 16:41:00 BST 2003

blackburn-admin at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:
> Subject: Re: [Blackburn] Networking

>> The command 'su' will turn any shell into a root shell. You will need
>> root's password. For a genuine root environment, you should run 'su
>> -'.
> Yeah, I can run shell commands as root this way, but how can I run X
> programs as root, when logged in to KDE as a normal user?

The same way... try it! Though in general running an X application as root
is not a good idea.

>>> I've set the hostname (I think) to birminghamcounrtyclub.org
>>
>> Why? That domain name is not even registered apparently.
>
> Once I have an ADSL, I want to use this domain name. The choice is a
> long-standing joke with some friends of mine. What's the cheapest way
> to reserve it, so that noone else takes it?

You need to register the domain. I could recommend "good" places to do this
but as you've asked for "cheap", try www.webtapestry.net.

Don't attempt to set hostnames to use this FQDN until you have registered
it.

> P.S. I want to recompile the kernel some time. I use 2.2 atm, but I
> like some of the stuff in 2.4.

Be prepared for your NAT/Masq to break at that point :-)

> Also,  is there a special kernel for dual processor boxes or should I
> just use the normal one?

Yes, just turn on the SMP options in the kernel, before compiling it (or use
someone's precompiled SMP kernel).

Steve