[Blackpool] [U-Cubed] UCubed & OK Computer

Les Pounder lespounder at gmail.com
Sun May 8 09:46:56 UTC 2011

Jon, everyone, answers in-line with comments below.

Thanks
Les

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Jon Spriggs <jon at sprig.gs> wrote:

> So, to be sure I'm understanding right, in principal, there is no concern
> around having a joint event, as long as everyone is OK with it. By
> preference, Anna would like it not to be the next one (as people have
> already committed to "OK2" [1] or is it because of something else?) but that
> we should consider having a "Free Software Event" sometime in 2012 that we
> could all collaborate on?

A Free Software Event would be great, one big event, with all of our events
under it.
I agree with Anna's comments, OK2 does cater to a different audience, and I
should of thought about it a bit better before posting.

> The main reason Les and I thought about merging OK2 and UCubed 3 was
> because August/September is already shaping up to be pretty busy. There's
> BarCamp Notts that several of the organisers are going to, then OggCamp, the
> BarCamp Blackpool and that's just the stuff I'm pencilling in. If we're
> trying to run two extra events, both losely centred on the same point,
> albeit pitched in slightly different terms and with a different target
> audience, then we figured it'd make sense to merge, but the only way we'd
> even consider pushing ahead with it was with the agreement and understanding
> on everyone's part that both events shared the limelight and that neither
> took precidence over the other.

I posted a list of events to the Blackpool LUG mailing list yesterday, I
think we have at least one event per month from now until November. jon is
quite correct in saying that our intentions were that both events would
share the limelight, and that neither took precedence from the other.

> I'd love to discuss running a Free Software Fayre, in collaboration with OK
> Computer, MFS, ManLug, Blackpool Lug, Manchester BSD Users Group (if they'll
> consider re-forming for it) and anyone else willing to turn up and rock out.

 A big event / fayre for Free Software would be awesome, and I think we need
to work out some ideas for it, Blackpool LUG would be up for it, as would
others on this email.

> Honestly, I think we decided after UCubed2 that none of us could manage
> organising UCubed 3 for before 11.10, so if we're not up for merging, then
> (unless I remember wrongly) UCubed 3 will aim for the beta 1 release date
> for 12.04.

I think that UCubed should be an annual event, as it is very resource
intensive, but we should have a release party for 11.10.