[Blackpool] Fwd: [ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Global Jam 2nd-4th September

Les Pounder lespounder at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 13:36:57 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Alan Bell" <alanbell at ubuntu.com>
Date: Jul 8, 2011 2:17 PM
Subject: [ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Global Jam 2nd-4th September
To: "UK Ubuntu Talk" <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>

here follows a message about the Ubuntu Global Jam, we should do something
for this.
Ideas on the back of an email . . .

Alan.

The Ubuntu Global Jam is a worldwide event in which Ubuntu LoCo Teams
get together at a local venue and work on Ubuntu, get know each other,
and otherwise just have a lot of fun! These events are simple to
organize, a great way of meeting people in your area, and a great way
of learning (at many of these events people share skills, techniques
and more about using and contributing to Ubuntu).

This Ubuntu Global Jam is also a particularly important one. Ubuntu
11.10 Oneiric Ocelot is shaping up to be a stunning release, and we are
all putting a lot of focus in ensuring that Unity gets lots of
testing, and our awesome LoCo community is helping with this.
Organizing an Ubuntu Global Jam event is a great opportunity to do
some of this testing and provide feedback to help make Oneiric better. I
strongly believe that this Ubuntu release is going to really help
Ubuntu bring Free Software to the masses.:-)

You can see the list of current events planned at
http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/**global/1011/detail/<http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/global/1011/detail/>
and we would love to
encourage you to organize and event and participate!

 >  Organizing An Event<
It is really simple. Here is how:

 1. Pick a date (a day between the 2nd-4th September 2011) and choose a
venue. The venue can simply be a coffee shop or bar that you all meet
at, or something more structured like a college or university. Many
teams just pick a coffee shop (not needing to inform the owners) and
just all agree to all meet up at the same time, date and location.
 2. Add your event to loco.ubuntu.com. To do this, go to
http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/**global/1011/detail/<http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/global/1011/detail/>,
make sure you are
signed in and then use the Add Team Event page to add your event.
Note: you need to be a member of your LoCo Team in Launchpad to add an
event to loco.ubuntu.com.
 3. Finally, spread the word! Blog about it, post about it on
Twitter/identi.ca (be sure to use the #globaljam hashtag!), post about
the event to your team's mailing list, put posters up around your local
area and more.

...and then, show up on the day of your event and have a great time!

--
The Open Learning Centre is rebranding, find out about our new name and look
at http://libertus.co.uk

ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com