[Blackpool] Enabling Mint 13 Wireless

Elizabeth C elizabethcoop1945 at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Jul 13 19:13:27 UTC 2014

Hi All

I'm struggling to enable Wireless on a fairly old E-System laptop which had Mint 13 installed on Saturday. (Done as a favour for a friend who donated heavily to my Charity).  The laptop is currently with her but she can't get online (Sky).... I'm hoping to get access to it again tomorrow:

Having done a bit of scouting I've found the following possibilities...

1. ? possible switch not in the "on" position.

2. right click on the wireless applet & select "Enable Wireless Networking" ~
except that there is no wireless applet.....

3. Do I need to download an additional driver? eg From the Menu; Preferences; Additional Drivers download and
install the Broadcomm driver. For reference the file is
bcmwl-kernel-source_5.100.82.38+bdcom-0ubuntu6.1_i386.deb

Does anyone have any other alternatives or see faults with above please?

Thanks

Elizabeth