[Blackpool] Blackpool LUG a brief history 2004 - 2015

Tony Hughes tonyhughes1958 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 21:34:27 UTC 2015

Thank you Mr Pounder for those kind words, actually my memory is of myself
and Mike sitting there with one of the Dave's each week trying to work out
how we could breathe life into the LUG. It seems a long time ago when five
of us was a big meeting. But when Les joined us and then Donald things
started to shift up a gear.

But sitting at the meeting 2 weeks ago discussing the new venue and moving
into our next phase as a makerspace and LUG shows how far we have come over
the last few years. The focus now seems how we can as a group support the
young people of Blackpool to learn what we do and how they can get
involved. The screaming penguins of Blackpool have much to do as we move
forward.

For the uninitiated the Screaming penguins are the roving LUG/Makerspace
members that help at Linux and technology related events both in blackpool
and around the North West. We have helped to run Raspberry pi events,
barcamps and Linux related events since 2010.

Now with the move to becoming a makerspace much more geekery awaits.

RIP Rippon Road, Long live Blackpool LUG/Makerspace

Tony