[Blackpool] My Opinion

Mike Hull mikehull2008 at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Sep 15 16:31:36 UTC 2015

Hi All

Here are my personal opinions on the future
of the club.

Personally I would like to see an increase
in the creative side of the club, with greater use in the future of 3D printers
and a laser cutter as well as the current trend of electronics.

Most of the club members are involved in
making things in various ways so Makerspace appears to fit.

With thought of encouraging new members,
not many will have heard of LUGs, but many creative people these days are
familiar with the concept of Makerspaces. Our application to the Craft Council
was as Blackpool Makerspace , which puts us at the top of their list, which is
alphabetical. Blackpool is known to most people in Britain, whereas FY1 is
unknown unless you live in Blackpool. I was not aware of the names MakerspaceFY1
and Towerlug until last week. Perhaps that is just me not noticing things.

I would like to see some new members for
the club. With a new meeting space it would be a shame to have it empty all the
time. It would be great to have more junior members who could benefit from the
experience of the older members, not just in computer skills but in using tools
and making things with your hands. These are things which need to be encouraged
as against computer games and social media which seem to be the modern
generations principal pastimes.

Some financial implications of the new
space will need to be addressed. I would propose £2 per adult per session initially.
(no charge for Junior members – but must be accompanied by an adult Member) We
need to cover insurance (which needs to be looked into), health and safety
issues and , of course, tea and coffee!

Regarding a Committee, the main reason for
this is to have someone appointed to operate a bank account of some sort. Being
small in numbers most things can be resolved by discussion at ordinary
meetings, but some things may need positive management.

I propose the following for the initial
committee:

            Mike
Hewitt

            Les
Pound

            Arthur
Garlick

This is not to slight any one, but we have
to start somewhere.

I look forward to hearing everyone else’s
thoughts on these matters.

Best regards
Mike Hull