[Blackpool] My Opinion

Tony Hughes tonyhughes1212 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 15 20:12:42 UTC 2015

Hi All

Thanks Mike for starting this conversation, we have talked in the past
before the move to Tyldesley Road about how to fund the 'Club' after the
closure of Rippon Road.

While we are only meeting 1 day a week £2 a session seems OK to me (what
would a session be), but I'm not sure with the small group of us this
would meet all the expenses we may have in the longer term.

I would have thought a monthly/annual membership fee with a reduced
session fee to cover brew costs and electric will be the way forward in
the longer term (we could have a nominal junior members fee as they will
be accompanied by an adult). We may also want to charge a small fee for
the use of bigger more expensive items of equipment (which can be booked
by the session) as well to cover consumables and maintenance costs for
these.

As for the name Makerspace it sounds OK and makes sense to me, but it
would be good if we could also maintain our heritage and have a regular
dedicated session for those who want to learn more about Linux and Open
Source Software. Much of the Maker side will be driven by Open source
software with the RPi, Arduino and other open hardware (yes I know the
RPi is not open hardware), so we need to be able to show people how the
software works if they are new to it.

As for the committee If the three named (Les, Mike and Arthur) feel they
have the time I'm OK with that, but would be willing to be part of the
committee myself as I'm not working and have a little more time than
some in the group.

Mike I don't seem to have had any attachment (draft constitution) so
can't comment on this.

I look forward to some other ideas.

Tony