[Bradford] Install a wireless device on linux machine

David Carpenter david.carpenter at nornir.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 17:01:16 UTC 2008

Hi Paddy.

Wayne's response is quite 'techy'. It's good, but if you're not sure
about using the terminal, it can be quite daunting.

If you're up for learning a bit of terminal usage, then great get in
there, - it's not necessary, but sometimes it can be really useful.

Another place to look is under the System - Administration - Network
section.

That shows your network devices and the USB wifi thingy might just be
there.

If not, a reboot with the device attached might just bring it up.

If not, then someone running a dmesg would be useful!

If you are on the internet via  a wired connection then someone could
even connect remotely to you and help you sort it out...

One thing from your other post...
.exe files won't execute on Linux, cos they're programs for Windows
machines. As this is one way virus are spread this is a very good thing!
With devices like this they are little programs that install the drivers
for the device - Ubuntu and Linux have their own versions of many
drivers already built in or easily available (sometimes they don't!). I
suspect Ubuntu already has the driver - we just need to get it  and the
device together.