[Bradford] Restarting sound

David Carpenter david.carpenter at nornir.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 08:45:45 UTC 2008

Can anyone help with this...

On my Ubuntu Laptop when I plug in the earphones it does not mute the
main speakers.

I've found various suggestions as to what should go in the:
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
file, and I can get it to either mute the speakers but allow headphones,
OR have sound through the speakers but no mute when the headphones go
in.

SO...most of the time I have the speakers muted and just plug in
earphones if I need to listen to anything.

This is fine!

When I want to change the configuration I can just go in to:
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
comment out a line and then reboot the machine.

QUESTION (at last!)
Is there a way to get the machine to recognise the configuration change
without rebooting?
I have tried:
sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart
and that doesn't seem to work
I have tried just loggin out and logging back in again and that does not
work. Seems only a reboot does it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

David Carpenter

nornir

E: david.carpenter at nornir.co.uk
Skype: carpenter.david

Please save paper and only print this email if you have to.