[Bradford] Restarting sound

David Carpenter david.carpenter at nornir.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 14:34:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 13:34 +0000, Philip Wyett wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 08:45 +0000, David Carpenter wrote:
> > Can anyone help with this...
> >

> > On my Ubuntu Laptop when I plug in the earphones it does not mute the
> > main speakers.
> >
> > I've found various suggestions as to what should go in the:
> > /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
> > file, and I can get it to either mute the speakers but allow headphones,
> > OR have sound through the speakers but no mute when the headphones go
> > in.
> >
> > SO...most of the time I have the speakers muted and just plug in
> > earphones if I need to listen to anything.
> >
> > This is fine!
> >
> > When I want to change the configuration I can just go in to:
> > /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
> > comment out a line and then reboot the machine.
> >
> > QUESTION (at last!)
> > Is there a way to get the machine to recognise the configuration change
> > without rebooting?
> > I have tried:
> > sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart
> > and that doesn't seem to work
> > I have tried just loggin out and logging back in again and that does not
> > work. Seems only a reboot does it.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks
> > David
> >

> Hi David,
>
> I also found only doing a reboot did the trick in applying new settings.
> Now I have got the jack-sensing beat on my Fujitsu-Siemens I only ever
> apply the required line every upgrade if it is needed.
>
> What is your laptop?
> What is the sound chip?
>
> The line I have to apply to get it all working on the Fujitsu is a
> Compaq - Go figure. :-)
>
> options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-nb0763
>
> Regards
>
> Phil

Thanks Phil

This is one of those problems I had ages ago and never fixed, so I found
a work around that does ok.

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
(rev 03)

ALC883 Analogue ALSA device is involved somewhere along the line.

I've tried lots of options in the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Here's the list:
#options snd-hda-intel model=laptop
#options snd-hda-intel model=basic
#try a fix - use last in list for headphones but no speakers
#options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig
#options snd-hda-intel model=laptop-eapd
#options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig position_fix=1
options snd-hda-intel index=0 position_fix=1 single_cmd=1
model=laptop-eapd

I'm using the last one at the moment and that gives me muted speakers,
but the headphone works.

At the time there was lots advice about rebuilding ALSA, but I wasn't
going to do that. What I should do is try a live CD of 8.04 as I'm due
to do that upgrade anyway....

For the record the Laptop's a 64 bit dual core Intel job from novatech
in Portsmouth. Richard Bruce sourced it for me specifically as  Linux
Lap top, and apart from this one minor issue it's been great! I've got
the spec somewhere!

I wouldn't want people to spend time looking for the correct sound
option - I reckon I would have found it by now. It was really just if
there was a way to restart sound without a reboot.

Thanks