[Bradford] Installfest's, Conferences and Events and Bradford LUG - Discussion...

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Tue Oct 28 19:24:20 UTC 2008

Hi all,

The following email will be my thoughts regarding installfest's,
conferences and other events we may hold or take part in as the Bradford
Linux User Group.

Get a coffee now, this may be a mid size read. ;-)

To begin
========

To best promote the Bradford LUG and accomplish our goals of encouraging
new and further use of the GNU Linux Operating System we need to get out
into the world to the masses and promote promote promote in a nice way!

Organisation and responsibility
===============================

We cannot go at this ad-hoc and need to work together with volunteers in
key areas to take responsibility of certain tasks i.e.

* Point of contact within the LUG for events (overall)
* LUG Location facilitator (Getting and working with)
* LUG Sponsors facilitator (Getting and working with)

* Things to make up an event/stand/table

  - People (Essential one or more is very experienced in Linux)
  - Table
  - A Bradford LUG sign
  - Sponsors signs
  - One/two small demo PC's (participants may also bring hardware)
  - Flyers (Bradford LUG info with due credit to sponsors)
  - Shirts, Stickers etc. (Promotional pack maybe from Canonical)
  - Distro CD's

I would hope most if not all the above would be supplied by sponsors.
Any additional funds would be used for transporting the above equipment
to events, transportation of guests to events and then further events if
there is anything left.

Events we can have or be part of locally

* Installfests

  Events organised in whole by us from location, personnel and content.

* Computer fairs

  There are regular computer fairs in Bradford we may be able to get a
  table at to promote GNU Linux. We would hopefully get the table space
  at no cost.

  http://www.computermarkets.co.uk/

  A computer fair is a good location as all who attend are already
  users, have an interest in computing and like saving a little money
  when buying hardware. :-)

So when, where and how

To get into the swing and see how we go, I would suggest we do a few
computer fairs in Bradford (if possible) first and then go for a full
Bradford LUG organised installfest maybe pre Easter of next year.

To end for now

Individual areas need deeper discussion, so ... go on then. :-)

Regards

Phil