[Bradford] E-Petition - non-microsoft schools

David Carpenter d.carpenter at virgin.net
Mon Feb 9 14:49:31 UTC 2009

There is an e-petition.
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/nonMSschools/

While I'm sure there may be arguments about the exact wording, I think
it's broadly in the right direction!

"The only BECTA recommended operating system for schools is Microsoft
Windows, but there are several reasons why this is not the best choice
for use in an educational environment. Firstly, the vast majority of
malware in existence is for Windows. Secondly, the cost of a Windows
computer may prevent some learners from having one at home which is
compatible with the ones used at school. Thirdly, Windows restricts the
user's choice of such settings as languages and character support based
on edition bought. Finally, Windows is not designed for education.

For these reasons, we believe that the primary OS used in schools should
be a free and open source alternative. Many operating systems that are
more secure than Windows are available, although there is currently only
one specifically designed for education. Many of these systems are
Linux-based, and so there are alternatives to most Windows software
available, and where they are not, it is possible to run windows
applications."

I'm not sure that BETCA do only recommend windows, I thought they were a
bit more forward thinking, but if you'd like to add your name: