[Bradford] The BBC and Ubuntu

Tom Holderness tall.tom at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 09:50:18 UTC 2009

Unfortunate Rory Cellan Jones didn't help himself any further in his blog
about using Ubuntu for 24 hours
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/
"I struggled to work out how I would organise photos, music and video with
this system."
How hard is it? F-Spot Photo Manager  - The clue is in the name!
This sparked a landslide of comments and twitter was humming to the sound of
some very unimpressed Linux users.
However, he may have forced the Linux community to take action and
re-evaluate our situation within the desktop market (yet again), which is
probably a good thing.

For the first time ever a large scale PC distributor (Dell) is shipping
Linux pre-installed (and has been for a number of years now) and it works
out of the box! While there is certainly a long way to go, in my opinion
Ubuntu with Canonical's marketing power and strategy have made Ubuntu/Linux
a name in the wider technology community. The BBC News Technology Home Page
now has a "Karmic v.s Windows" Link to the previously posted video.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/default.stm
(bottom left)

Additionally, what does anyone think about Ubuntu's / Canonical's
integration of commercial services within Ubuntu 9.10? Ubuntu One file
sharing is now integrated into Nautilus as default (plus notification icon)
and the new Ubuntu Software Centre has the ability to allow users to
purchase and install commercial non-FOSS software in one-click.