[Bradford] Mailing list submission

David Pickles dave.pickles at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 1 15:31:45 UTC 2010

Dear Bradford Digest

I would be grateful if my appeal for information could be included in the
next Bradford Digest...

I have about £300 to spend on a laptop and I don't know where to start! I
use my desktop for internet browsing, email and office applications - I am
not a gamer.

I also have some tunes but don't require a massive hard drive (currently I
have only 20Gb and its not full). Naturally I've junked Windoze and and
operate Intrepid exclusively.

I envisage that my laptop usage will be similar. However, I also would I
like the ability to view iplayer or similar at full screen without it being
jumpy or too grainy. My current desktop (Compaq EVO PIII, 512Mb RAM) doesn't
quite cut it with moving images.

Ideally I would like a machine with at least 13" screen. I am prepared to
buy reconditioned machine - but am nervous about inheriting something with
virtually no battery life.

 Questions:
 1. Are there any local suppliers that you recommend? I already know to
avoid the high street monsters (ie PC World or similar)
 2. Is my budget realistic for my requirements?
 3. Are there any machines that are recommended or should be avoided?
 4. Can anyone give me reassurance about the battery life of reconditioned
machines?

 If you have any ideas, please drop me an email.

Many thanks

Dave Pickles