[Bradford] Fw: Re: Petition re Mobile Phone Data

Brian bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Sun Aug 21 10:44:27 UTC 2011

--- On Sun, 21/8/11, Brian <bradlug at techchico.org.uk> wrote:

From: Brian <bradlug at techchico.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [Bradford] Petition re Mobile Phone Data
To: x-ric at brucenetworks.com
Date: Sunday, 21 August, 2011, 11:42

--- On Sat, 20/8/11, richard <x-ric at brucenetworks.com> wrote:

From: richard <x-ric at brucenetworks.com>
To: bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Date: Saturday, 20 August, 2011, 11:56

On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 23:53 +0100, Brian wrote:
> I have created a petition on direct.gov. It has just been approved.
> What it  says, basically, is that if you buy data, on your mobile
> phone, you should be able to use that data in any way you wish without
> let or hindrance.

I'm looking at trailing a mobile data service what
would a ideal service look
 like.

rich

I am assuming here that this is available on a phone as well as a dongle.

Blocks of data should be available which  are adequate for someone who just wants data for their mobile/emails. The ability to buy blocks of data at any time. A text when nearing the limit of a block of data and when the limit is reached, together with information as to PAYG costs and a link to buy more data. A text, when on PAYG data, for, say, every £5 used. A cut off point, selected by the user so that, when a certain point is reached, the data stops and a text is sent. As '3' provide, the ability to switch off data, via  a web site (easily accessible), as data usage on some phones is a nightmare to control. PAYG data at a reasonable rate.
Perhaps additional services like VPN might be worth thinking about.

The purpose of the texts and limits are to give customers the peace of
 mind that costs won't spiral out of control. In other words - not a Vodafone service where, at every opportunity they seem to work on how they can dupe the customer (hence advertising 'Unlimited' data which wasn't unlimited allowing customers to run up £1000s on their bill)

Typical blocks say: 100MB,250MB,500MB,750MB,1GB,3GB,5GB,10GB,15GB,20GB,30GB
As some people have MyFi units the larger blocks an be useful.