[Bradford] Stallman speaking in Sheffield

Alice Kaerast kaerast at computergentle.com
Wed Jan 19 13:39:58 UTC 2011

Richard Stallman, founder of GNU Project and Free Software Foundation
will be speaking in Sheffield on March 5th on Copyright vs Community in
the Age of Computer Networks.

"Copyright developed in the age of the printing press and was designed
to fit with the system of centralized copying imposed by this
technology. But, the copyright system does not fit well with computer
networks, and only Draconian punishments can enforce it. The global
corporations that profit from copyright are lobbying for Draconian
punishments, and to increase their copyright powers, while suppressing
public access to technology. But if we seriously hope to serve
the only legitimate purpose of copyright, to promote progress for the
benefit of the public, then we must make changes in the other
direction."

It should be a really good talk and is completely free of charge,
sponsored by BCS and Sheffield Hallam University.

Tickets are available from
http://localevents.theiet.org/register.php?event=c0ef7e

--
Alice Kaerast