[Bradford] Fwd: DEAPPG Panel Event on Net Neutrality: A Briefing paper

Alice Kaerast kaerast at computergentle.com
Tue Mar 29 13:24:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Brian <bradlug at techchico.org.uk> wrote:
> . My argument is
> that if I fill up my car, and pay for the petrol, I expect to take my car
> wherever I want to use up that petrol. What if someone was to restrict what
> I could use my car for,  then say they want the unused petrol back at the
> end of the month?

Well no, it's more like hiring a car and then being told you can't
take it abroad without paying extra and being made to buy a full tank
of petrol before you set off regardless of how far you're going.

Network neutrality is a joke when the vast majority of UK internet
traffic is filtered through the IWF CleanFeed system, when all UK
mobile providers have signed up to a working group which has declared
mobile internet should be filtered to protect children, when UK law
requires ISPs to block access to sites "glorifying or inciting
terrorism", when many ISPs are pushing traffic through transparent web
proxies.  And that's on top of the issues Richard's brought up.

http://yuxiyou.net/open/ has a pretty map showing the level of
internet censorship around the world, and I'd imagine most of the
countries showing no censorship simply haven't got the infrastructure
in place to do so yet.

Alice