[Bradford] Fwd: DEAPPG Panel Event on Net Neutrality: A Briefing paper

Thomas Mangin thomas.mangin at exa-networks.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 13:35:02 UTC 2011

> Network neutrality is a joke when the vast majority of UK internet
> traffic is filtered through the IWF CleanFeed system, when all UK
> mobile providers have signed up to a working group which has declared
> mobile internet should be filtered to protect children

This is an unrelated topic, however I can see how as there is no definition of NN you could say that.

ISP are under _enormous_ lobbying to become the police of the net IWF, DEACT, ... (and without any judge "obviously").
Hopefully, they do not like the idea and are really starting to fight back.

But even if Cleanfeed does not protect any children, how can you refuse to do anything.
Imagine the <tabloid> line : ISP <x> supports child abuse.

Politicians care about people opinion and perception, that what get them re-elected, not technical reality.

> when UK law
> requires ISPs to block access to sites "glorifying or inciting
> terrorism", when many ISPs are pushing traffic through transparent web
> proxies.  And that's on top of the issues Richard's brought up.

They work for you ! take some PAPER and a PEN and write to your MP (or press print).
MP react better when it costed you a stamp to contact them..
Change their perception ..

> http://yuxiyou.net/open/ has a pretty map showing the level of
> internet censorship around the world, and I'd imagine most of the
> countries showing no censorship simply haven't got the infrastructure
> in place to do so yet.

Even in countries like Spain where politicians (people over 40) lived under a dictator you find those.
Everyone knows best how everyone should live their life ...

Thomas