[Bradford] VPS (cheap linux servers)

Alice Kaerast kaerast at computergentle.com
Sun May 15 14:02:20 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Oliver Burkill <ollybee at gmail.com> wrote:
> lowendbox is an excellent resource.

Agreed, I've just ordered a new VPS from one of the listed providers
to try out some (possibly mad) implementation ideas for a new project.
 So long as you don't expect any provider this cheap to stick around
for long you'll be fine - I've seen several providers go bust or lose
data over the years, and have simply switched to another one; I don't
use them for anything mission-critical.

> My recommendation for a really good service would be bytemark

I've been more than happy with Bytemark in the past.  Whilst they're
more pricey than a cheap VPS provider, they're also UK-based,
incredibly reliable, have good support and their technicians are
active Debian developers.

Brightbox's new cloud beta service is also proving very fast and
reliable, I've got Jenkins running on one of their smaller packages
and it's working great.  Currently free to try as well.

If you're looking for more resources then Hetzner are proving fairly
good for us.  We've got a dedicated machine for less than the high-end
Amazon/Rackspace Cloud servers would cost (though of course don't get
the same redundancy you could build in with Amazon/Rackspace).

--
Alice