[Bradford] Letter from Spain +Re: Leeds Werewolves TOMORROW (Wed)

Brian bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Wed Apr 4 10:36:26 UTC 2012

My apologies for non-attendance - I am in Spain.
Judging by the forecast for snow,  in northern England, there may be a lower attendance anyway.

It's not all wonderful here though - I've been stuck in with a mild dose of flu for the last 2 days.

The good thing is that I can get on the Internet OK. I purchased a 5GHz Ubiquiti Nanostation, before I left for Spain, so I could  link to a 5GB Wi-Fi signal from where I am staying. I did a quick setup on the day I arrived & then went to bed intending to finish the setup the next day. I'd left the username/password as standard. The next day I couldn't get it to log off the company I was registered with, so I couldn't finish the setup. I kept clicking the reset button to get it back to factory settings and was getting very frustrated that it wouldn't reset. Eventually, I had clicked the, rather flimsy, reset button, so many times that it broke and now I will have to fix that some time. I got in touch with the WiFi company & discovered that not only had they locked me out of my own nanostation but they had reflashed it to comply with their T&Cs. I was a bit shocked at that. They did say that I just needed to tell them when I was leaving and they'd revert
 it to factory settings. To be honest I get some better performance from this 1.5Mb/s WiFi than I do on VirginMedia's 10Mb/s Internet. YouTube plays OK, often, with VM, videos take ages to start up or don't start at all.
I linked the ethernet output from the nanostation into a router so as to facilitate a 2.4GHz connection for my EeePC.
I am using soft client TwinklePhone for my outgoing telephone calls and all works well.

I'm just hoping all the snow has gone, for my return to Blighty, later this month.

Brian