[Bradford] Ubuntu

Alice Kaerast alice at kaerast.info
Sun Jul 28 10:27:56 UTC 2013

There's an argument to be made that Ubuntu is successful because it is
*not* Linux (same with ChromeOS).  They've made a deliberate move to not
market Ubuntu as being a Linux product because Linux can be seen as all
command-line and scary.  In 9.10 they went from describing themselves as a
community-driven Linux distro to an operating system built by a worldwide
team of developers.  There was even talk of Canonical switching to an
alternative non-Linux kernel at one point.

Unity and Mir are developed under the Canonical Contributer License
Agreement (CLA) which means the next version of Ubuntu could hypothetically
be released under a very restrictive EULA; like MacOSX - free software
under the hood but a highly restrictive license for the software built on
top of that.  How open the Ubuntu Edge hardware will be is questionable,
and if we don't own the hardware then what use is having open software?

>From a marketing point of view this all makes a lot of sense, but it does
make Canonical seem like one of the scary corporations.  And this generates
a lot of ill feelings from the Linux community.  I asked Mark Shuttleworth
in a forum about why he never uses the word Linux any more, I got downvoted
to hell by the Ubuntu fans.

Regards
Alice