[Bradford] Zinio woes

Brian A bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Thu May 30 11:25:16 UTC 2013

I have tried various ways to get Zinio on my desktop.Air for Linux is no
longer supported by Adobe of course, so I tried an old version.
That had keyring problems and despite what I did with GNOME keyring it
wouldn't install.

So, I thought I'd try WINE. I installed Firefox and tried again for a
Windows download. It took me to mircosoft.com where I couldn't find
anywhere to download unless I installed Windows 8.
So I changed the useragent string in Firefox to match Windows 8. This time
I got another 'download' page, again with no download link in sight. There
was a button to something else that did not work.
I then read on the forums that some people, even with Windows, couldn't
find a link to the Zinio download.
So, if there is anyone out there that has managed to download for Windows
then please tell me how because it seems that the link is very hard to
find. I did do a general search on Google. I found a few links but they all
took me to places where I might want to repair my PC, install a toolbar
(via cnet.com of all sites - really bad) or a virus checker.

All in all a bad experience and I'm not sure that even Windows people can
all get the Zinio app. Microsoft makes out that you need NT or Win 8 -
otherwise they are not interested.
The whole experience of dealing with Windows is just crass awful. I am so,
so,  pleased that I don't have to live in the Windows world of Hell and I
pity those of you that have to do it as part of your job.