[Bradford] Success! Zinio on Ubuntu

Brian A bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Thu May 30 20:22:15 UTC 2013

So, the WINE thing didn't work out. I don't know how I got drawn in to
Windows Hell. I should have persevered with the Linux install.

Anyway, back to the install on Ubuntu. There was a problem reported by
Adobe Air, during install, that related to the GNOME Keyring. I tried
various things with the Keyring but had no luck.
It looked like the keyring wasn't being seen by the Air installation. So, I
wondered if the files were in the wrong place. After all, some coders will
look to Red Hat based Fedora as their first call - whereas the most popular
desktop is Ubuntu.
I did a 'locate' on the keyring to find out where the various files were
located. To cut a long story short I wondered if Air was looking in
/usr/lib rather than the  deeper directory in which it resides on Ubuntu
12.04. This was my thought because the directory on Ubuntu was
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ which takes no account of 64 bit installations. So
I tried a couple of symbolic links and it worked!!

So this is a rough guide on how to get Zinio working on Ubuntu 12.04. If
you have a different distro have a look to see where those linked files
exist on your distro and alter the links accordingly.

>From this list:
http://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/archived-air-sdk-version.html
Download:
Adobe AIR 2.6.0 Linux (15.4 MB) Runtime

Download the Zinio app via:
http://imgs.zinio.com/zinio-reader/installers/AdobeAIRInstaller<http://imgs.zinio.com/zinio-reader/installers/ZinioReader4.air>

Most people will be aware of the command for symbolic links but, if not,
the syntax is:
ln -s targetFileOrDirectoryWithPath nameOfLinkWithPath
I effectively put a couple of files into /usr/lib via these symbolic links:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgnome-keyring.so.0
/usr/lib/libgnome-keyring.so.0
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgnome-keyring.so.0.2.0
/usr/lib/libgnome-keyring.so.0.2.0

Right click > Properties > Permissions on AdobeAIRInstaller.bin, within
Nautilus File Manager and set to allow execution - or via the command line
as you wish.

I think I used sudo for the next command but it should be OK without.
Go to the directory where the downloaded Air file exists then execute :-
./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin
to install it.

Then, in Nautilus,  simply double click on the ZinioReader4.air file to
install.

That's it!